Our holistic approach to programming ensures that we are relating to all aspects of healing and recovery while empowering survivors to become independent. The following is an outline of the programs and services the North York Women’s Shelter offers to our residents:
Programming for Women
- Individual Counselling: Available 24 hours a day to support women
- Weekly Women’s Group: The group is instrumental for healing and recovery because having a safe venue to openly discuss their experiences allows survivors to understand they are not alone.
- Moms and Tots: A program aimed at restoring the bond between mother and child.
- Microskills Training: These workshops help women learn and enhance skills required for employment opportunities.
- Life Coaching
- Workshops: We offer a variety of workshops focusing of parenting, nutrition, budgeting and many other relevant topics.
Programming for Children
Our children’s programs are ever evolving to meet the needs of the individual children at the shelter. The children’s programs focus on assisting children heal, develop healthy attitudes, opportunities for recreation, and academic support. Our aim is to support the children so they can learn to trust adults and emphasize positive male/female interactions to undo the damage done by violence and abuse. Some of our children’s programs are:
- Children’s Group: Children are engaged through non-threatening activities such as arts and crafts to express their emotions.
- Here to Help: This is a 12-week program that provides a safe and compassionate environment for children 4-16 years of age who are exposed to woman abuse to cope with their feelings of pain, fear, anger and confusion.
- Dance Program: With help of Arts for Children, the program helps develop both artistic and personal skills of children.
- Home Club and Reading Circle: This program aims to support the academic success of the children at the shelter and is supported by Frontier College.
- Summer Camp Activities